Written by Teniqua Pope
I don’t know who needs to hear this but, Sis: the times are always uncertain. Think about it: unless you dabble in the tarot or own a bedazzled Thanos glove, you’d be hard pressed to even predict what will happen later on today, let alone your entire life. Granted 2020 has definitely been next level chaotic (I’ll spare you the trauma of a recap) both your worst nightmares and your wildest dreams can sprout in chaos. Choose wisely.
Know this: Comfort cannot coexist with breakthrough. And amazing things are often planted in the unknown.
Fingers clenched around the familiar cannot grasp greatness. Even if what you’re holding on to is good, you have to let good go to reach better. Uncertain or not, right now is the time to make your move. Whatever that is. Lean into this moment and prepare to be amazed.
Key word: prepare.
Yes. You do have to prepare to be amazed. Nine months in and 2020’s got too many of us pregnant with fear instead of hope. Again, I’ll spare you the recap, but please know that what you give birth to will be the product of one of the two. What do you want to deliver this month? If you’ve been on a steady diet of doom and doubt for the last 8 months, it’s not too late to detox and replenish yourself and the vision living within you.
You owe it to yourself, and the vision you’ve been carrying all this time. Prepare. A lack of preparation will only cause delays in your destiny. 2020 has thrown enough banana peels in your path. Don’t let your own limited thinking hold you back. Here are 7 steps you can take to eliminate self doubt and align yourself with amazing:
- Solidify your why. Once you have clarity about who you are and what you really want out of life, you’ll need to get solid on your why. Why is this so important to you? How will your life be different once you have/lose/achieve this?
- Make room. Declutter your schedule, your space and your mind. Leave room on your calendar for daily self-care and chance encounters. Rearrange your living space if need be. Explore new mindfulness habits.
- Set boundaries unapologetically. Get really comfortable saying no. Without explanation or excuse. This will position you for the yes that you truly desire.
- Get radical about self-care. Beyond your daily routine. Plan (within your means, of course) to do a little extra once a month. Give yourself something to look forward to. Normalize luxury. You are the occasion.
- Invest in you. Somehow you found the money to invest in the travel agency and the cosmetics line your mom used to wear. (Or maybe that’s just me.) Put your money where your dream is. Reserve the domain. Take the certification course. Invest in you.
- Share wisely. Your vision is for you. It’s ok if not everyone in your circle can see what you see. Find the cheerleader, the helper, and the sage in your friend group and lean on them for encouragement, inspiration and accountability.
- Be that woman now. This ain’t about faking it ’til you make it. You are already that chick. Right now. Shine accordingly.
[About the Author] Teniqua Pope is a trained and experienced Life Coach, Mediator and Transition Strategist based in Denver, Colorado. Her first guided journal for women, “The Self-Care Dare: A 30 Day Journey to Radical, Unapologetic, Life Affirming Self Love” is set to be released in Fall 2020. To book a complimentary coaching discovery session with her, please visit teniquapope.com